Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses

Before you begin any work in a wetland area, you will need to check with your local conservation authority to see if a permit is required. If your watershed is not managed by a conservation authority, check with your local Ministry of Natural Resources office.

Waterfront activities requiring a permit include:

  • Construction of any kind
  • Altering a structure
  • Removing or dumping any material
  • Altering a watercourse
  • Altering a Provincially Significant Wetland (or adjacent lands)

For more detailed information, please read this brochure published by Conservation Ontario. To find out more about how wetlands are protected in Ontario, please check the the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources website.

Your local Ministry of Natural Resources office can be found on the OMNR website.

Working Around Wetlands? What You Should Know. This 18-page booklet, published by Environment Canada, provides good guidance an

This project was undertaken with the financial support of the Government of Canada. | Ce projet a été réalisé avec l’appui financier du gouvernement du Canada.