A NETWORK FOR CHANGE
LCSC recently created the Climate Network Lanark, a coalition of local organizations, supported by a variety of organizations and agencies. Our Vision is an engaged community, building a vital low-carbon and resilient place to live, work and play and in which other wildlife and flora thrive. Our Mission is to connect, coordinate, facilitate and support collaborative community efforts and actions to effectively address climate breakdown.
Current activities include:
- Our Natural Climate Solutions Working Group to identify priorities and develop an action plan.
- Our Agriculture Working Group to bring the Alternative Land Use Services program to Lanark.
- Building the capacity of the Network (e.g., work with Nature Canada on training in Engagement Organizing).
- Working with and supporting County councillors to apply to the Federation of Canadaina Municipalities’ Partners in Climate Protection program (PCP) for funding to complete the first three of five PCP, specifically:
- create a greenhouse gas emissions inventory for the county and the lower tier municipalities; this will integrate the work already completed in Perth and Tay Valley Township;
- set emission reduction targets for both corporate and community GHGs;
- develop a county-wide action plan.
The Climate Action Network is moving forward — setting up Working Groups to take action, building the online platform and tools to support these groups, creating a youth group and getting the word out through traditional and social media.
Complete this survey to participate. Check out opportunities to join a Working Group or volunteer and let us know what you’re interested in.